Oklahoma is suing the U.S. Justice Department and the Oklahoma City Police Department over a federal judge’s order that stopped a lawsuit against the police department over a shooting last month that killed a man who had no weapon.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday in federal court in Oklahoma City, where the lawsuit was initially filed in October, a day after a federal jury returned its verdict in the case.
The plaintiffs allege the officers violated the rights of the man by shooting and killing him on March 9.
The suit, filed by the Oklahoma Coalition Against Police Brutality and Violence, alleges the officers shot the man “while he was in the middle of walking away from the officers.”
The suit said the man was unarmed and that the officers “could have reasonably believed” the man posed a threat.
The man died after the officers fired 10 shots, according to the lawsuit.
The U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions and torture said in an April report that the shooting was “particularly egregious” because it “violated the rights and freedoms of an individual who was unarmed.”
He said that the use of deadly force against a civilian “does not necessarily constitute a violation of international human rights law.”
said that “an excessive use of lethal force is not a violation, but the use may be.”
It noted that a man was killed by an officer in a different case in 2014 when he was allegedly “in the middle” of walking toward a car.
The Oklahoma Coalition filed a separate lawsuit in May that also alleged excessive use.
The two lawsuits are separate and are separate lawsuits.
The lawsuits are both filed in federal district court in Tulsa.